Friday, June 24, 2011

Strawberries

We went strawberry picking yesterday. My littles and me. Yes, all 4! As we walked down the the strawberry rows, all single file, the smell of the wet straw, and fresh berries mingled, reminding me of years gone by, picking the sweet berries. We all squatted, or leaned over out there in the berry patch, pushing back the thick green growth of leaves, looking for the berries. Big ones, little ones, they seem to hang in bunches. They were all wet and with rain drops from the night before. They pop has you pluck them off the stems. I didn't realize that before, but is was a familiar sound to me, and made me smile as I plucked, and the berries popped.  It was great fun to watch the children at  their different ages. They stuffed their faces and sang a chanting song "Pick, pick, eat eat eat." The baby sat right in the middle of it all, stretching from her soggy spot on the ground looking through the thick foliage. Even she seemed to realize it was about the red juicy berries, begging to be picked and eaten.

honest - i had them pose for this one :)


single file, here we go
stretching and looking
look at what we did!
i luv these ones of mine
And to finish off, a picture with my littles and Farmer Tom. He owns the farm, and we go frequently through out the year, over the past 5 years, so he has watched my family grow, from 4 to 6! Each year showing up pregnant, or with a baby in a carrier! He chats with all of them but never remembers their names. He was a great sport for the photo, and the kids thought is was a hoot!


What have you been up to this week? Tell me about some fun adventures, or some great routines around the house.

1 comment:

Cathy S said...

I'll be honest; my brother in law and sister in law grow strawberries on their market farm so our flat of fresh red berries came from the cold storage last Monday afternoon. Aunt Trish offered Billy some strawberries and to his surprise she lead him accross the yard to the cold barn and amazed him (and I!) with stacks and stacks of flats of brilliant red strawberries! She took one from the top of the nearest stack and held it out for Billy to take. At 5yrs old he didn't feel confident enough to carry such a special treat so Mommy (me) got to carry the treasure to the van. I really enjoyed reading about how your flat of berries came about; I have as many little hands to help with picking so maybe that's where we will head when school is done... to the strawberry field! :)